It was an honor to judge five junior teams competing in the annual TechnovationMN Appapaloosa competition.
Girls aged 10 - 14 go through a 12-week program with volunteer mentors to learn the entire lifecycle for building mobile applications to help solve problems in their communities.
In this fantastic program, girls learn important skills such as:
- Using design thinking to identify a problem in the community and brainstorm possible solutions
- Performing market research
- Designing, coding, and testing a mobile application
- Planning and delivering a demonstration of the mobile application
- Planning a presentation and pitching the mobile application via video and live in front of a 4-member judging panel during the competition.
Such an exciting program to encourage girls to develop an interest in pursuing STEM, I would definitely participate again.